Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Homemade Sushi/Sushi Board

I started making my own sushi sometime last year, encouraged by friends who did it. There are many videos demonstrating how to do it. I bought a rolling mat and sushi rice, rice vinegar, the nori seaweed sheets, wasabi paste, and pickled ginger. All of these are now available in your hip super markets. I've kept it pretty simple, just vegetarian, and haven't tried to do the "reverse roll".

Favorite fillings are avacado, red pepper, cucumber, carrot, and cream cheese. It makes a nice looking appetizer or a simple light meal. It's actually quick to prepare as sushi rice uses less water(it's counter intuitive - for drier rice use more water) and only takes 20 minutes to cook.

Well one thing leads to another and a month ago I made 4 sushi boards as an attractive way to serve it. I gave two of them to my daughter on her 21st birthday as part of a sushi making kit. She loves sushi and is now wowing her friends with her efforts.

The boards are made of 8/4 walnut. For two of them I used an ebonizing technique to turn them nearly black. I inlaid three mother of pearl dots because, well, it seemed like a sushi kind of thing to do. You know, when you see those three dots you might ask, "Why three?" And in the hesitation that is the question maybe you will awaken to the true nature of the universe. Or maybe not. Maybe you will just relax and enjoy your sushi.

No comments: